Wednesday, February 23, 2011

things you can't unsee


Living in Alaska has basically scarred me for life.

Seriously, you guys.

From the things my neighbors butcher on the front porch like swans, rabbits, and other cute furry cuddly things, to photos on facebook.

Nowhere is safe.

I was flipping through one of my friends FB albums, and was accosted by pictures of a skinned bear.

How many times has that happened to you?

I will never get that image out of my head.

Nor will I ever forget the time I saw my neighbor skin a rabbit on their porch and then hung its fur on the porch railing to dry. ((shudder)) Poor Thumper.

I can't make this stuff up.

There is death on the front lawn/porch/wall/floor/everywhereohmahgosh!

I would post photographic evidence for you, but the thought actually makes me gag.

Yes, You will find bear skin rugs, musk ox furs, animal heads, antlers, tusks, etc. in almost every home here.

I don't judge, but the hell if I will ever have an animal head hanging on my wall.

Not because I'm some PETA fanatic. (for realz, I love me some steak.)

But basically, because I am scared that one day I will wake up and the hypothetical animal head will be in my bed trying to eat my face off.


6 comments:

  1. You need to watch The Godfather Part 1!! Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They probably think you're weird for NOT doing it. LOL Stuff like that happens to me too... I'm a Canadian ex-pat in NZ. The neighbours around here think I'm weird because I don't have a trailer for my car and we don't have a boat. ;) Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kg, we miss you two - us two (april and eric)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brothers hunt. I cannot stand the though of it and pretend there is no such thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, deer (incorrect spelling intended). I'm a huge animal-lover...when they're alive. I don't ever think I'd be able to handle Alaska. Oh yeah, plus, Sarah Palin's there.

    Hey, I found you on Kate's blog. I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, or the Polar Bears will get you...