Friday, February 18, 2011

All the small things

(woah, holy 6 posts in one week, batman. go me!)

Throughout High School, I remember spending my Saturday nights dressed up, in my knee length skirts and platform sandals, ready to dance the night away in the church gymnasium.

My brother and I (cause that's how I roll) would walk in and show the chaperones our dance cards. The LDS equivalent of being "carded".

Once I was "in", I would get pulled in a blur past the cute boys and into the girl's bathroom by three of my -probably screaming/hugging- friends, because one of them was crying. Do not pass go, do not even think about stopping by the refreshments table.

Now, normal adolescents would have taken the opportunity to smoke slash drink some form of contraband in said bathroom. But, we were in a church for crying out loud, and no one ever said we were normal. At least not between the ages of 14 and 17...I saved that for after high school.

Instead of a night of carefree dancing, we would spend the first half of the dance in the bathroom, chillin' in the same chairs women breast feed in, trying to convince "crying friend" that she's gorgeous and just needs to dance it out. Or, to grow a pair and get out there and ask that tall skinny boy she was crushin' on to dance.  Unless that boy was the same skinny kid I was crushing on, then it was a fight to the death in the bathroom.

I won, obviously.

So, you may be asking what the point of all this is?

Well, the point is... just freakin dance! 

Stop crying because you think someone doesn't like you.

Stop wasting precious time worrying about what others think or do.

Do what you want to do, and if you want to dance, then dance.



ps...All The Small Things by Blink 182 was one of the most played songs at those dances.
pps...Cotton Eyed Joe was number 1.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, K. I needed this. So much right now. I've been having a rough morning because people can be jerks and this helped. Thanks.

    Also, Stake Dances were the best/worst part of my teenage years. I remember them all too vividly. And when I walked into Smith's the other day to buy some groceries and Cotton Eye Joe was playing I couldn't help but laugh and think about how much I HATED that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that, just dance it out. Hahaha LDS dances were so awkward but they are my favorite memory.

    Write it in lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome and so true!!! I've never gone to a dance, as I was home-schooled as was my wife - but I agree with the mindset. Let go, relax and enjoy and DANCE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanna come over and play Just Dance 2 on the Wii?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, LDS kids and their dances. The LDS community in my town are the most hardcore dancers I've seen. And I thought us Catholics could party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kinda party!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, or the Polar Bears will get you...