Friday, March 19, 2010

Iditarod: The Mardi Gras of the North

The hotels are crowded and the streets are filling up...and by filling up I mean getting drunk.
They've dumped all the snow the road crews have worked so hard to clear all winter, right in the middle of Front Street.




Idita-whaaat 2007
[chipmunk face for the win....not.]




That's right, its Iditarod time. Or as I like to call it Idita-wheredidallthesepeoplecomefrom.

I received our handy-dandy Iditarod Events Calendar in the mail. woohoo *insert sarcasm*

I mean, really. What better way to celebrate a dog sled race than with wet t-shirt contests and drunken karaoke!?

Gosh I love Nome....we are totes classy.

There's also Beer Tasting, a Husky Hoe Down, Safe Sex Party, Make Your Own Bikini, and a bunch of other lame-tastical events you will eventually file under "Things I Regret" and/or "Things My Jackass Friends Shouldn't Let Me Do".

I know, right? To be honest, the Iditarod is only cool the first time you see it....unless you really love dog sled racing, then I'm guessing its the bee's knees. But, for most of us who live here in Nome, it turns out to be more of an excuse for the drunks to get drunkier. And let me tell you, they were plenty drunk before.

Also, there are way too many people in the Post Office.



Most Iditarod "events" are sponsored by one of the bazillion bars we have or by a church that is just trying to even things out. yea, good luck with that. I have yet to attend any Idita-parties, wet t-shirt contests, or beer tastings. and I don't plan on it.

However, I did drag my butt down to Front Street to video tape (for your viewing pleasure) the winner, Lance Mackey, hitting the finish line. Please enjoy the shotty camera work, editing, and lack of visuals due to my being "vertically challenged". I should have just taped it from the safety of my office balcony. Crowds are so overratted.


No video? Your computer must totally suck.

Psych! I am just totally lame-o and haven't uploaded it.
Sorry.

(Your computer probably doesn't suck.)





Oh that reminds me... I am so excited for that siren to go off in the middle of the night.  Ode to joy.

Go Iditarod!



ps...I will never have a job in tourism. Can you tell?

pps...Dog Sled Racing is crazy awesome...emphasis on the crazy! Go Mushers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, or the Polar Bears will get you...